In Chad, our country will organise presidential, legislative and communal elections in the coming months. These elections, which are a major challenge for Chadians, will mobilise everyone's attention and will determine democratic change in Chad.
Tournons la Page Chad (TLP-Chad) in the framework of its actions has conducted a mission to supervise the process of updating the electoral register started on October 1, 2009. This mission in several enrolment centres made it possible to get a first-hand impression of the reality. It is clear in advance that citizens are not keen to enlist, for several reasons:
- Questioning the credibility of the electoral system;
- Lack of information on the enrolment process (enrolment point, opening and closing hours);
- Lack of awareness among the population of the need to enlist.
The mission noted :
- The inefficiency of agents in the field who do not seem to master the computer system used to enrol future voters;
- The mobility of the enrolment centres makes it difficult for citizens to access them;
- The computer equipment used is of poor quality and makes the enrolment operation more cumbersome.
In view of the current situation, the 20-day enrolment period is very insufficient and the expected grooming of the electoral register will be neither credible nor representative.
To this end, for credible elections, Tournons la Page demands that the Independent National Electoral Commission:
- the postponement for three weeks of the closing of the registration of the population;
- the provision of effective equipment to the recruitment agents to improve the conditions of recruitment;
- the setting up of fixed and permanent enrolment centres;
- the involvement of civil society organisations in the information campaign on the recruitment process;
Finally, TLP-Chad calls on the government to strengthen and decentralise the Permanent Elections Office for the security and capitalisation of data and materials used by INEC. Taking into account these recommendations will determine the commitment and confidence that citizens will have towards the next elections in Chad.
TLP-Chad values the respect of the conditions for a credible, inclusive, transparent and democratic election.